The start of a new year means that many communities are examining and prioritizing areas for improvement and expansion. While further information on COVID-19 related programs and funding is largely pending at this time, we would like to remind communities of the ongoing opportunities available and how we can assist.
Economic Development Administration
Grants are available for projects related to infrastructure or workforce development that lead to job creation.
- Brownfields – Rehabilitation of a site where there are environmental concerns.
- Shovel Ready – Assistance in obtaining a shovel ready designation on an industrial site.
- EDA – Technical assistance with projects related to public works, economic adjustment, and planning.
- Tax Abatements – We can complete all required paperwork for a designating body.
Office of Community and Rural Affairs
Their current grant funding opportunities include projects related to wastewater, drinking water, and stormwater. Also, there are funding opportunities available for certain types of planning activities. We must be able to show a residential benefit to have a competitive grant application.
- Wastewater/Drinking Water Program – Up to $700,000 available to improve a community’s wastewater or drinking water infrastructure.
- Storm Water Improvement Program – Up to $600,000 to improve a storm water system.
- Public Facilities Program – Up to $500,000 available for a project that benefits the community. Projects we have done under this program include community centers, fire stations, libraries, and council on aging facilities. (Temporarily suspended)
- Main Street Revitalization Program – Up to $600,000 available to improve a downtown area. Approved activities include streetscapes, façade improvements, and downtown infrastructure. Must be part of an Indiana Main Street organization to qualify. (Temporarily suspended)
- Blight Clearance Program – Up to $500,000 available to rehabilitate deteriorated or abandoned downtown buildings, or vacant or unusable industrial sites. (Temporarily suspended)
- Planning Grants – Funding that allows for a planning study to take place on any infrastructure projects. Comprehensive plans are also permitted.
- COVID-19 Response Grants – Up to $250,000 available to address issues created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Region 3-A can assist with traffic counts, road reclassification, accident studies, and traffic impact studies. We can also provide technical assistance with grant applications for Community Crossings funding.
- Community Crossing Application Preparation – Preparation and staff trained in PASER. Small communities have only a 25% match requirement.
- FA3-FA4 Grant Application Preparation – Preparation for submittal by local employees in responsible in charge (ERC).
- Road Reclassification Application – Traffic counts and submittal, prerequisite for some FA3-FA4 applications.
- Traffic Counts – Functional Class, Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS) railroad safety.
- Accident Studies – Review accident data and review for possible roadway remediation.
- Traffic Impact Reports – Analyze and report on new business impact on existing roadways.
- Member Road Safety Audit Review team for Northeast Indiana – Review accident locations and suggest possible remediation.
Region III-A serves an area including Huntington, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Wabash, and Whitley counties in Northeast Indiana. If you are interested in securing funding for opportunities in the above categories contact us today. We look forward to a productive 2021 for our area.