The call for the second round of Community Crossings was paused in July in order to monitor the financial outlook due to COVID. However, on Wednesday, Indiana Governor Holcomb and INDOT Commissioner Joe McGuinness announced that the next call for projects in the Community Crossings grant program will open Friday, September 25, 2020.
Information from INDOT
Community Crossings is part of Gov. Holcomb’s Next Level Roads program, a 20-year, fully funded plan to enhance Indiana’s highways and local roads by awarding communities grants for shovel-ready local road construction projects.
Projects eligible for funding through Community Crossings:
- Road resurfacing
- Bridge rehabilitation
- Road reconstruction
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance in connection with road projects
- Material costs for chip sealing and crack filling operations
Projects submitted to the Indiana Department of Transportation for funding will be evaluated based on need, traffic volume, local support, the impact on connectivity and mobility within the community, and regional economic significance.
Community Crossings is open to all local government units in the State of Indiana.
- Cities and towns with a population of fewer than 10,000 will receive funds using a 75/25 match.
- Cities and towns with a population of greater than 10,000 will receive funds using a 50/50 match.
- Counties with a population of fewer than 50,000 will receive funds using a 75/25 match.
- Counties with a population of greater than 50,000 will receive funds using a 50/50 match.
Over the last four years, the state has awarded more than $730 million in matching funds to support local road and bridge projects around Indiana.
All application materials must be submitted by Friday, October 23, 2020, at 5 p.m. ET. Communities receiving funding for projects will be notified by INDOT later this fall.
If you need technical assistance in applying for Community Crossings funding, please contact us at (260)347-4714.
For more information on the assistance we provide with Community Crossings application preparation, visit our service page.